Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Hi my name is....

Well hello there Followers!


My name is Falelima Miller. I am a 22 year old fifth year student at the University of California, Los Angeles. My major is Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics... really long, I know! It is one of the reasons why I am staying a fifth year at UCLA--too many classes to take still.

I am Christian. :] I am so very blessed and I thank God for all that He has provided my family and me. :] Nothing in my life would be possible if it weren't for Him.

I am afatasi-- Samoan and Palagi (hence, the last name being Miller. lol :] ) I have lived all over the place because I was a military brat... Well not really, but my Dad served in the US Marine Corps for 22 years. He retired when I was 2 years old, so I dont think I was old enough to be considered a brat, haha. I was born in Japan because that's where my Dad was stationed, then moved all over the place. My family ended up in Sacramento, CA when I was about 8 years old and still lives there today. I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters and I'm one of the middle children. I'm very close to and protective over my family. I seriously tell them EVERYthing and would do ANYthing for them. They are my backbone and the reason I am in school. I also have a wonderful boyfriend. We've known each other since 7th grade but never became friends til New Years 2009. hahaha.. The beginning of 'us' is pretty funny, but too much to type and embarrassing for him so I'll leave it out for his sake. :] I'm very happy to have him in my life as well, he's very supportive and caring! Too bad he lives 400+ miles away in Sacramento! haha... Distance/Time makes the heart grow fonder though :]

I love: dogs, the outdoors-camping, swimming, hiking, fishing, dirt bike riding, shooting, jet skiing, the beach, the snow, the lake, etc., scrapbooking, taking my little cousins to the park, driving, dancing, food, singing, softball, volleyball, UCLA, taking pictures, traveling, the stars, laughing, good company, good music, pretty much anything mkes me happy :] ....besides USC! hahaha... Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch auch! Aber, Deutsch Grammatik is sehr schwer!! lol. I wish I knew Samoan though, I mainly know commands.. hahaha go figure!! I plan on going to American Samoa (hopefully Samoa, New Zealand, and Guam as well) next summer after I graduate. I want to spend a couple months there to hopefully pick up more Samoan and learn a lot more of my heritage/culture/etc. And maybe get tatted as well... haha

I graduated high school in 2005. I came into UCLA Pre-Med and unlike many other classmates who changed their majors or career plans, I have stuck with it and I am still Pre Med. I am highly considering doubling up with a Masters in Public Health. As I have learned through classes, volunteering at the UCLA Santa Monica hospital, as well as with this Pipeline internship, it is very important for doctors to know the community to which they serve. Sure, a doctor can treat the present illness/problem, but they cannot totally provide care for their patients if they cannot understand or relate to the different problems, histories, or cultures of their patients. So I want to do both but we'll see where the road takes me.

After I graduate next June (fingers crossed), I plan on taking a year (or two) off before applying to Medical or Public Health Schools. I pray that my dreams come true and that I will be able to be a doctor. At first, I always wanted to be a Pediatrician because I love children. But, now I am undecided. For about 6 months, I volunteered through UCLA CareExtenders in the Labor and Delivery Department. I witnessed C-sections and natural deliveries, I was only feet away from everything! I saw multiple birth C-sections and even a breeched delivery-which was the first one for the doctor and the nurses too! It was an amazing, exciting experience! So I have decided to leave my options open and see where medical school leads me.

If any of you Pipeline high school interns have any questions or concerns about college or anything feel free to ask me! ;-]

Let's see what else... At UCLA, I am apart of a group called the Pacific Islands Student Association (PISA). I've been an active member since my first year. I used to work for their outreach project, Pacific Islander Education and Retention (PIER)--I used to tutor/mentor Pacific Islander high school students (or anyone that came into the room) at Hawthorne High school. PIER now only serves Carson High School, Long Beach Polytechnic High School, and is starting a new site this year, I believe at Leuzinger? PISA is a pretty small group on campus because there's really not a lot of PI's at UCLA so we try to stick together and outreach to try to get more here!! We not only have weekly meetings to discuss the business and advocacy dimension of PISA, but we also study, party, tailgate, etc etc together. It's my family away from family. :]

Ok I think I just keep rambling and rambling, hahaha... I hope I didn't bore you too much, LOL... If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me :]

*Falelima

No comments:

Post a Comment