Monday, September 21, 2009

Giving my ideas to Diana and the meeting about Qualitative Research

So after a long weekend of work I was to meet up again with Diana on September 21 at around 1:30pm. I drove to UCLA around 10a that day because I had a lot of reading and reviewing I wanted to do before meeting with her again. I wanted to write down all the ideas I accumulated and pick out potential topics to look at regarding physician satisfaction. I was nervous (again) because I was not sure if what I had was good enough or interesting enough to do any research on. I just hoped one would be good enough!
I got to Diana's office and was somewhat ready to present what I found. She grabbed a notepad and took notes as I spoke. I told her about how a lot of articles talked about Physician Burnout and how we should probably not do that. I told her about the common themes I found about the other physician satisfaction studies and that maybe we should look at how specifically breast cancer physician's satisfaction of the healthcare that they were able to provide. She said it was good enough to work with and we came up with specific characteristics to look at: gender, language/ethnicity (or rather if they replied that they were Latino), income, healthcare management, etc. Diana said we can come up with more parameters when we meet again and that she would show me all the data they collected from all the physician surveys.
We only met for about an hour because Diana needed to meet with Dr. Ryan before he was going to present at 3pm. In this time I got some coffee and met two women that were supposed to present at the meeting after Dr. Ryan's presentation. Diana came she introduced me to Dr. Ryan and explained who I was and what I was helping her with. He was a very nice man.
The room was filled with about 15-20 other Investigators who all introduced themselves and the work they did. We were also webcamming with two doctors from a hospital somwhere else in LA (I cant remember where though?)
We were all given handouts of Dr. Ryan's presentation and I thought I was going to be completely lost! But I was surprised I was actually able to follow it-well most of it. I even took some notes. It was all about ways to do better qualitative research. The questions to ask or not ask, things to do or not do, etc. He said the best way to get the most information out of whoever you are interviewing is to ask open ended questions and not "Yes" or "No" questions. He used an example about a study that wanted to measure condom usage. He said that you can get your interviewee to say so much if you just look at them and ask, "Condom?" Dr. Ryan put together a table of measures you want to look at when asking your questions. He said there were four "flows of experience" for human experience to ask about when looking at a particular 'phenomenon of interest'. All your data can be divided into the four experiences: Behavioral (what did you do?), Emotional (how did you feel?, Cognitive (what did you think?), and Environmental (what else was happening?). He also used a timeline of events to which each experience question would be asked. They seemed like very handy tools to me being an inexperienced researcher. Other investigators in the room questioned it because of the way they were used to doing things, but the model seemed simple to me, easy to follow and easy to try to gain research technique and experience from.
Dr. Ryan didn't get to finish his presentation, but I still have the packet to refer to in the future. I talked to Diana after and told her that I want to get more experience with his model. Diana told me that she was actually working on a project with the Guam Communications Network. They were researching the quality of care of swollen lymph nodes after cancer surgery-if the patients were educated on them etc. I asked if I could try to help and take part in it and she said "yes". It won't be a paid research position, which is totally fine. I really want to just gain more experience and help my community in any way possible. I just hope my schedule allows me to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment